Team building refers to the enhancing, promoting and encouragement of teamwork skills and resources among employees, which is usually done through a number of ways and activities. It mainly dwells on promoting communication, collaboration, group tasks, learning from each other, as well as boosting morale and motivation.
There are a number of activities you can take advantage of in corporate team building , and which end up promoting critical thinking at the same time. Yes, it turns out that you can not build a team in a workplace by placing posters strategically on their way! Below are a number of games you can use to promote critical thinking in team building.
1. Building games: A team leader asks a team to do a task that involves constructing something, from castles to bridges. Make sure to provide the materials such as pipes and marshmallows to do the work and then assesses which team builds the tallest, more realistic structures, or say best looking structure. This fosters group skills and creativity.
2. Save the egg: The team is taken to the task of saving an egg that is to be dropped from a given height. Make sure to leave them to freely design the solution in their own ways. For instance, they could construct a safe landing or build an egg-holding device such that the egg won’t break after landing. It helps build teamwork, creativity, and group skills.
3. Zoom: Workmates are arranged in a circle and given a photo with an animal or certain object on it. You then tell a story while incorporating the animal or object in the photo you are holding, and another person takes it from there. They learn to collaborate, become creative, and learn from each other how to become creative.
4. Minefield: The leader divides the group into smaller teams, and arranges some obstacle courses and blindfolds all the participants. Each of the participants navigates the minefield in turns while blindfolded, but being guided through the obstacles by their teammates. Teammates can be asked to use certain words or clues while taking their peers past obstacles in order that the game becomes more challenging. This is a nice game that can foster communication among members of a team. It also encourages building of trust.
5. Extreme challenge and difficulty: In this case, participants are presented with a problem that puts them in a very tricky position such as being stranded in a desert island or getting lost. They are required to work their way out. Each one is encouraged to contribute in devising the plan.
There are endless ways you can achieve corporate team building while at the same time, encouraging critical thinking in a team. These include engaging them into challenging games that evoke designing of solutions while promoting collaboration, fostering group activities, encouraging creativity in tasks, boosting activities that elate motivation, and encouraging activities that promote communication skills.
Some of the games including minefield, zoom, and save an egg, as well as putting the team in a difficult situation where they have to come with a solution.